PLEASE TAKE NOTICE
EFFECT JANUARY 6, 2017
SPAFFORD TRANSFER STATION
PERMIT FEE IS
TOWN OF SPAFFORD
1984 State Route 174
Skaneateles, NY 13152
315-673-4144 - Town Clerk
315-673-9835 - fax
Town of Spafford's Official newspaper.
AND... sign up to receive Town-related information
electronically! Just send your email address to
sent to confirm the address provided. Use of the
email list will be for official Town business,
which will be determined by the Town Clerk.
ESTIMATING TAX BILLS? - - We receive many
requests for estimates of future tax bills. The County
and Town budgets that determine the tax rates for the
January tax bill are not adopted until November. School budgets (for the September tax bill) are adopted in May.
Another unknown factor is your property tax
exemptions; many must be renewed each year. If you fail
to renew, or your qualifications change, (perhaps due to
an income change), it will affect the amount due.
We strongly recommend you use prior years' tax bills
as an approximate minimum.
DISPOSAL OF CFL BULBS -
They contain small amounts of mercury,
a potent heavy metal pollutant.
All of the ACE and True Value Hardware stores
in Onondaga County partner with OCRRA
and accept fluorescent bulbs from residents.
Lowe's and Home Depot also accept CFLs
Can you have that bonfire?
Should you burn your old leaves?
What about a campfire?
Review the regulations on
In towns with a total population less than 20,000,
(Spafford population is 1,686) you may burn tree limbs
with attached leaves. The limbs must be less than 6 inches
in diameter and 8 feet in length (also referred to as brush). However, this is not allowed from March 16 through May 14 due to the increased risk of wildfires.
Used petroleum products and Electronic Waste
are not accepted at the Spafford Transfer Station.
"Our Two Hundred Year Journey"
A volume of images and history
of the Town of Spafford.
Limited supply available --- $20 each.
Shipping available at Priority Mail rates.
TOWN HALL OFFICE HOURS
Please Note: The Town of Spafford offices are part-time.
Town Clerk - Tuesdays & Wednesdays 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Thursdays & Saturdays 9 a.m. - 12 Noon
Code Enforcement Officer - Tuesdays, Thursdays, & Saturdays 9 -11:30 a.m.
Assessor - Tuesdays & Thursdays 9 a.m. - 12 Noon
Appointments are appreciated
Not all Town Officers have set office hours.
Town Board --- 2nd Thurdsays at 7 p.m.
Zoning Board of Appeals--- 2nd Tuesdays at 7 p.m.
Planning Board --- 3rd Thursdays at 7 p.m.
Town Court --- 1st & 3rd Mondays @ 6 p.m.
DID YOU KNOW?
The Town of Spafford now regulates short term rental of your home.
Annual registration with the Codes Office is required.
Questions? Call our Codes Office at 315-673-9557
At their February 9, 2017 meeting the Town Board introduced a proposed local law to replace Local Law 4-2016 Regulating Short Term Rental of Homes in the Town. Copies of the text of the proposed law A-2017
and Local Law 4-2016 with blue lines
indicating changes are available at the Office of the Town Clerk.
Cemetery Management Bids
The Town of Spafford is seeking bids for Cemetery Management which includes three components: (1) Cemetery Superintendent
duties, (2) mowing
of all Town-owned properties, and (3) opening and closing graves as needed.
Evidence of Liability Insurance must accompany all submitted bids. Bids are to be based on prevailing wage rates.
Sealed bids incorporating all three duties will be accepted until 12 Noon on Thursday, March 9, 2017 by the Spafford Town Clerk, 1984 Route 174, Skaneateles, NY 13152.
February 9, 2017 Town Board Meeting Quick Notes
- The 2017 Agreement to Spend Highway Funds was approved.
- Highway Supt Fordock is authorized to seek a replacement Gradall or similar equipment from other municipalities.
- Reimbursement of cost associated with attending the March 2017 Onondaga County Planning Federatio Symposium is approved for attending Town officials.
- Proposed local law A-2017 to repeal and replace Local Law 4-2016 was introduced. The Full Environmental Assessment Form regarding the proposed law was completed and the Town Board, as Lead Agent, approved a Negative Declaration for the proposed local law. A Public Hearing for the proposed law is scheduled for March 9, 2017 at 7 p.m.
- The YMCA day pass program is discontinued. The passes will no longer be issued, nor will any unused passes be redeemable.
- The Town Board is seeking bids on a Cemetery Management package - the package includes the duties of the Cemetery Superintendent, mowing of all Town properties listed in the 2016 Mowing Specifications, and the opening and closing of gravesites as needed.
INTERESTED IN SERVING YOUR COMMUNITY?
The Town Board is seeking to fill two open positions:
- Planning Board - one open seat with a five year term
- Zoning Board of Appeals - one open seat with three years remaining
Please submit a letter of interest by March 9, 2017 to Spafford Town Hall, 1984 State Route 174, Skaneateles, NY 13152, ATTN: Town Clerk.
The following roads are considered "Seasonal Roads" within the Town of Spafford. They are not PLOWED, SANDED, or MAINTAINED from November 15 to April 15:
- Bacon Hill Road - from the end of the pavement near Route 41 to the intersection of Holzworth Road
- Bromley Road - from Town line to the dead end
- Covey Road - entire length of road
- Morris Run Road - entire length of road
- Ripley Hill Road - from Cold Brook Road to the first house on the south end
- Ten Mile Point - entire length of road